Saturday, August 13, 2011

Parables

Hi, I am back and feeling much better. I was down with a nasty summer cold for the last week. The good news is I finished the book of Matthew and have moved on to Mark :) But I still wanted to write about what Matthew taught me.

If you haven't read it I encourage you to do so but I will give what info I know. Matthew was a Jewish tax collector that was busy doing his job when Jesus walked by, looked at him and said "follow me." So he did. Amazing right? No conversation no ifs ands or buts he just did it. Maybe he was one of the few Jews who recognized the Messiah immediately. Something about that intrigues me because I have always heard Matthew mentioned as a tax collector but never as a Jew. I think it is more important to see him as a Jew first because then you realize that he had been taught from a very young age that the Messiah was coming and to watch for Him.

That's what the Book of Matthew describes, the coming of the King. The Ruler the one who will set us all straight. Not a whole lot of fluff or warm fuzzies. I also learned why Jesus always told Parables when addressing the masses. In Chapter 13 Jesus explains that unlike his disciples the general public isn't really prepared to hear his message so he must give it to then in a way that they can understand. Kinda like feeding your baby rice cereal at first and then gradually moving into solid foods.

I have to admit that sometimes I had to read a parable a few times sometimes switching translations until I got it. I am glad I took the time to stop and really figure out what Jesus was saying. Oh and another thing I think is pretty awesome is if you go back to the later chapters of Isaiah it is almost like reading Matthews account of the life of Jesus only it was written 700 years before Jesus was born. You probably knew that but like I said I have never sat down to read the whole book :).

I do have a few favorite parables that I will share but I'm not going to quote them here you'll just have to look them up :) Matthew 18:12-14  5:21-26  6:5-18

OK so one parable the other two just hit me hard. So on to Mark :)

I will be posting again tonight just so ya know I have peace and quiet and I am taking advantage of it.

Blessings Always,
Cassandra

1 comment:

  1. The Sermon on the Mount (Matthew 5, 6, 7) is one of my FAVORITE passages in the Bible (John 15 being my tippy top favorite). So much New Testament truth found in these chapters! I just finished chapter 9 of Matthew. After reading each chapter (a day), I am focusing on a verse or passage from that chapter and writing about it in my Scripture notebook. My experience with the Good Morning Girls group showed me how helpful this is. Thanks for sharing and I look forward to seeing what insights you glean in Mark!

    ReplyDelete